In this article, we are gonna be exploring what happens when you use regular nail polishes with either a gel top coat or a gel base coat.
Can You Use a Regular Nail Polish with a Gel Top Coat
One of the easiest ways to make your regular nail polish last longer and look more glossy is to add a coat of UV gel top coat over it.
You see UV gel top coats are not easily damaged and are very resistant to peeling and chipping making them very durable. This means that and they have can potentially allow your regular manicure to last for 10-14 days depending on the brand that you use
Can You use a UV Gel Base Coat with a Regular Nail Polish
Now you shouldn’t use a UV gel base coat with regular nail polishes. The is because regular nail polishes won’t adhere so well to a gel base coat.
You see the function of a base coat is to act as glue to hold your nail polish onto the nail bed. But because gel base coats have a completely different chemical composition from regular nail polishes they wouldn’t bond properly.
How to Apply a Gel Top Coat Over Regular Polish
- The first thing that you need to do is prep your nails like you would usually do,
- I usually prep by pushing back my cuticles, filing my nails, and then cleaning them with a cotton pad soaked with rubbing alcohol.
- Next, apply your regular nail polish as you usually do, I usually apply them in two thin coats.
- But before you apply your gel top coat you need to allow your polish to dry completely. I recommend leaving your polish to dry for 4-6 hours before applying the gel top coat.
- If your nail polish isn’t dried properly before you apply the gel top coat, your nail polish will shrink and wrinkle up.
- Now once your nail polish has dried you can apply a thin coat of gel top coat over your nail polish, just ensure you cap the edges
- Finally, let it cure under your UV or Led Lamps as recommended by your brand of gel top coat, once cured don’t forget to wipe away that tacky or sticky layer with rubbing alcohol.
- If you want you can check out the video below for a step-by-step guide.
Why use a Gel Top Coat with Regular Nail Polish
You see Gel polishes are amazing they look nice and glossy. And, more importantly, they are super durable allowing them to last for a long time, with some brands lasting for 3 weeks without chipping, peeling, or fading. Citation.
In comparison, regular nail polishes and top coat are less durable and only can last on average of 5-6 days depending on how much activity you do.
But gel polishes also have some drawbacks, Gel Polishes:
- Are expensive in comparison to regular nail polish,
- They don’t have such a wide variety of colors to choose from.
- They are also more difficult to remove.
Now by using a gel top coat with regular nail polishes you can get the durability and glossiness of gel polish, without all of its drawbacks.
Recommended Gel Top Coat
I recommend and use Gelish Top Coat, they are a premium brand that are amazingly durable and should give you 2 weeks wear when uses with a regular nail polish. You can click here to see the current price for Gelish Top Coat on Amazon.
UV Gel Base Coat & Regular Nail Polish
I have seen some people recommend using a gel sandwich technique where you sandwich a regular nail polish between a gel base coat and a gel top coat.
I have tried this before and I didn’t great results my manicures only lasted 6 days before it started to peel. Whilst when I used just a gel top coat and a regular nail polish I got a full 2 weeks.
You see a base coat’s main function is to create an adhesive surface on your nail plate for your polish to adhere to.
Now a gel base coat is designed with a formula to work with gel polish and not with regular nail polish. This is why I suspect I didn’t get good results using a gel base coat and regular nail polish. Citation.
So I recommend sticking with a regular base coat or just apply the regular nail polish directly onto your nails.
For a durable base coat I recommend Seche Base Coat, you can click here to see the current price on Amazon.
Citation and References