Super Glue should never be used to glue your Press on Nails or Fake Nails. Super Glue wasn’t made to be used on your body and it can be very harsh on your natural nails which can lead to them being damaged.
This is why most brands of super glue come with a warning on their label to not use it on your skin or body. Super glue is also sold as Krazy glue – which is the same and should be avoided for use with fake nails.
Why You Should Never Use Super Glue on Your Nails
- Damages Your Natural Nails
- Not made to be used on your body
- Not as durable as Nail Glue
- There are better and safer alternatives
1- Damages Your Nails
Super Glue damages your natural nails in two ways:
1- Most brands of super glue contain etching agents which are added to the glue to break or roughen up the surface that the glue is used on.
You see super glue works best on rough surfaces which is why they add etching agents to make the Super Glue work more effectively.
But what this means is that if you use super glue on your nails the etching agent will degrade the top layer of your nails which will leave your nails exposed and more weak.
2- Super Glue can be very hard to remove especially when it is just applied and if you remove them incorrectly you bear the risk of severely damaging your nails.
In the short term, super glue can be very potent making it extremely hard to come off. This can make the removal process difficult and tedious. And in most cases, you might have to soak your nails for a prolonged period of time in acetone which can severely dehydrate your nails and cuticles.
And if you don’t soak your nails long enough I have even heard stories of individuals actually losing a nail during the removal process.
Tips if You Do Use Super Glue
Now even though I don’t recommend using super glue there are some hacks that you can use to mitigate the amount of damage that your nails incur.
- If you use super glue for your Fake or Press on nails wait at least a couple of days before removing them. Try your best not to remove them too soon. You see Super Glue is very strong in the short term but over time as it is exposed to moisture it loses its effectiveness.
- Apply two coats of a clear base coat over your nails before applying the super glue – this will make the removal process easier and reduce the damages that your nails will incur. You see the base coat acts as a buffer protecting your nails.
2- Not Made to Be Used on the Body
Super glue isn’t made to be used on your body and most manufacturers usually have warnings placed on the labels to desist against this.
This is because Super Glue :
- Is so concentrated that if it goes on your skin like your cuticles or nail bed it can cause dermatitis or skin irritation.
- Added to that super glue isn’t manufactured in sterile conditions like nail glue or medical grade super glue. This can potentially lead to harmful chemicals getting mixed inside the glue which can be absorbed into your body.
3- Not as Durable as Nail Glue
Is Nail Glue the Same as Super Glue
Even though Nail Glue and Super Glue use the same main ingredient which is cyanoacrylate they are not the same.
Nail Glue has lower concentrations of cyanoacrylate and contains additives that make it last longer than just regular super glue.
These additives allow nail glue to:
- Handle moisture better
- Be more flexible compared to Super Glue, this makes it less brittle.
- Prevent skin irritation if it goes on your skin.
Super Glue on the other hand contains higher levels of cyanoacrylate and contains etching agents both of which will damage your nails.
Super Glue Vs Nail Glue
|Nail Glue||Super Glue|
|Durability||Nail Glue tends to last longer – But this will vary with different brands||Super Glue tends to quickly weaken over time when exposed to moisture – will vary with different brands|
|Effect on Your Nails||Once removed correctly it won’t damage your nails||Weaken and removes the top layer of your nails.|
|Ingredients Used||Contains additives that make it milder and safer for your skin||Contains a higher concentration of cyanoacrylate.|
4- Better and Safer Alternatives
One of the main reasons why you shouldn’t use Super Glue on your nails is that they are other safer and better alternatives that won’t damage your natural nails.
Most other nail techs recommend that you use either nail glue or more gentle adhesives.
Not all brands of nail glue are the same, some cheap brands just package regular super glue as nail glue. So you should stick with well-known reliable brands.
I highly recommend Nail Bond they are a bit more expensive but they are extremely effective, you can click here to see the price for a bottle on Amazon.
Now if you are interested in other methods that you can use to glue your Fake or Press on Nails you can click here to read my article on the best alternatives to nail glue.