Using Top Coats for Acrylic Nails -Pros, Cons & Best Brands
Top Coats serve 2 main purposes – they add an extra glossy touch to your nails and they help to greatly extend the lifespan of your manicures.
But can they be used on acrylic nails and are they really needed? Plus what are the best top coats to use on Acrylic nails? Keep reading to learn more.
Can you use a regular air dry top coat for acrylic nails
Yes, you can apply a regular air-dry top coat on your acrylic nails. This will help to increase the lifespan and the glossiness of your acrylic manicure.
Related Article – Can You Use Substitutes Instead of Monomer Acrylic Nails
Can you put a gel top coat on acrylic nails
Yes, you can use a gel top coat on acrylic nails. Putting a coat of gel top over your acrylic nails is one of the easiest ways to make them last longer.
Just ensure the acrylic nails are completely hardened and dry before applying.
How to Apply Top Coat on Acrylic Nails
- First, apply your acrylic nails as you usually do.
- Next, apply your nail polish on the acrylic nails – you can skip this if your acrylic is colored
- Now clean your acrylic nails with rubbing alcohol and ensure they are completely dry and hardened.
- And then apply a layer of top coat.
- Let the top coat dry, but if it’s a gel top coat cure it under a UV-led lamp as per the instructions given.
- Finally, wipe your nails clean with rubbing alcohol.
Related Article – How Acrylic Ruin Your Nails & Tips to Prevent Damages
Do acrylic nails need a top coat
You can do acrylic nails without using a top coat especially when you are working with colored acrylic since it is durable enough.
But if you are applying nail polish over your acrylic nails it is essential that you use a top coat.
Now, I and most other nail techs always use a top coat when working with acrylic nails.
Related Article – 10 Reasons Why Acrylic Nails Lift & How to Fix & Prevent
Benefits of Using a Top Coat Over Acrylic Nails
- Prevents nail polish from fading and peeling prematurely – a top coat is essential if you applied nail polish over your acrylic nails
- Increases the lifespan of the acrylic nails by adding an extra layer of protection over them
- Prevent staining of the acrylic nails – most topcoats are formulated to repel stains
- Makes your acrylic nails extra glossy – top coats help to add more sheen. If you want a matte design you can use a matte top coat.
Related Article – 5 Best Alternatives to Acrylic Nails That are Safer & Better
Best Top Coat for Acrylic Nails
The 3 best top coats for acrylic nails are:
- Mia Secret Gel Top Coat (Made especially to work for acrylic nails)
- Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat (A great air-dry top coat for acrylic nails)
- Beetles Gel Matte Top Coat (Best if you want matte acrylic nails)
1- Mia Secret Gel Top Coat
Mia Secret is a well-known brand in the acrylic world. They have some best quality acrylic liquid and powder.
And their Gel Top Coat is made specifically to work with acrylic and because of this, it blends amazingly on acrylic nails. It is also extremely durable and long-lasting.
Mia Secret Gel Top Coat can be used to cover acrylic nails with nail polish or on colored acrylic nails. It also works with dip powder and most gel systems like Polygel and BIAB.
Now the main drawback with Mia Secret Gel Top Coat is that it is a UV Gel top coat meaning that you will need a UV-Led lamp for it to cure and harden.
Where to Get Mia Secret Gel Top Coat
Mia Secret Gel Top Coat is available in a lot of retailers. But you can get it on Amazon too You can click here to see the current price for a bottle there.
2- Seche Vite Fast Dry Top Coat
Now if you don’t want to use a gel top coat on your acrylic nails you can use the Seche Vite fast-dry top coat. It is one of the most popular top coats on the market.
Seche Vite top coat will help to protect your acrylic nails and add a nice glossy sheen to them. It has a nice fast-drying and extremely healthy and safe formula.
The main issue with Seche Vite Top Coat is that it won’t last as long as a gel top coat but you won’t have to use a UV-Led Lamp to cure it since it air dries quickly and naturally.
Where to Get Seche Vite Top Coat
Seche Vite Top Coat is available on Amazon, you can click here to see the current price for it there.
3- Beetles Gel Matte Top Coat
If you are looking for a matte acrylic nail design have no fear, there are matte top coats that you can use on acrylic nails.
Beetles Gel Matte Top Coat will work on acrylic nails that have a matte look and it will still preserve the matte design yet at the same time work to protect your manicure and make it last longer.
Now the main issue with the Bettles Gel Matte top coat is that it is a UV gel top coat so you will need a UV-Led Lamp to cure it.
Where to Get Bettles Gel Matte Top Coat
You can click here to get the Bettles Gel Mette Top Coat on Amazon.
Acrylic Nails turn Yellow or Brown: Causes & How to Fix