How to Easily DIY Thicken Nail Polish – Ideal For Stamping
In this article, I will guide you through step by step how to easily make your nail polish thicker.
Why You Would Want To Make Your Nail Polish Thicker
- If your nail polish is too watery and runny thus making it more difficult to apply.
- Or maybe you want your polish to be a bit thicker so you can more easily do nail stamping.
Step by Step Guide to Thicken Nail Polish
- The first thing that you need to do is open your nail polish bottle.
- And then place it in an area that is warm and has a constant air-flow, close to an open window would work great.
- Now if you want to speed it up you can place your nail polish bottle close to a fan.
- Meanwhile, you are gonna need to soak the brush with some nail polish remover to prevent it from getting hard.
- Next, you are gonna have to check your polish every 10 minutes or so to see its consistency.
- You can use a toothpick to examine the polish.
- Finally, once the polish is thick enough you can screw on back its cover.
How this Method Works
What happens is once the nail polish bottle is open the liquid solvents in the polish evaporate and this naturally thickens the polish. Citation.
Now by placing the polish bottle near a warm area with good airflow, this would speed up the rate of evaporation of the solvents.
If after you have thickened your polish by drying it out you can use a nail thinner to bring it back to its normal consistency.
You can click here to read more about nail thinners and how they work.
Drawback of Thickening Nail Polish
I am generally not a big fan of drying out my nail polish this is because I view this as wasting good polish.
Instead, just invest in better polishes that you won’t need to dry out. For great stamping polish you can click here to see my recommendations.
Why You Would Want to Thicken Your Polish For Stamping
Nail Polishes that are thicker tend to work best for nail stamping. This is because they are much easier to work with and produce more accurate designs and imprints.
And because of this, I would advocate using stamping polishes, which tend to be naturally thicker and more pigmented making them great for nail stamping.
You can click here to learn more about stamping polishes and why they make amazing nail designs.
Thickening Agent for Nail Polish
I have never tried this before but from research, I have found that you can add Xanthan Gum Powder to your nail polish to thicken it.
Xanthan Gum is a thickener used for food such as jams and sauces and also some cosmetics like shampoos. Citation.
If you are interested you can click here to see it on Amazon.
Now if you want to try it I would advocate:
- First add a little at a time to your polish,
- Then mix it thoroughly
- Next, examine the texture of the polish to see if it works.
- Also, you should probably try it out on a color that you don’t really use a lot.
Other Stamping Related Tips and Guides.
The Best Nail Stamper To Make Stamping Easier
Tips on How To Properly Clean Stamping Plates and Nail Stampers
Recommended High Quality Stamping Plates