Gel X Nail Allergies: How to Spot, Treat & Prevent

Gel X Nail Allergies How to Spot, Treat & Prevent
Gel X Nail Allergies How to Spot, Treat & Prevent

Yes, you can get an allergic reaction to Gel X Nails just like you can with any other type of manicure. And even if you don’t have an allergy to them you can develop one over time.

Also, sadly from my research and experience, I have noticed that allergies to Gel X Nails are more common when compared to allergies to other types of Gel Nails.

But thankfully I have found that this doesn’t need to be the case. That is why in this article we are going to cover:

  • What causes Gel X Nail Allergies
  • How to Prevent Them.
  • And How to Spot and Treat Reactions.

What Causes Gel X Nail Allergies

Most cases of allergic reaction to Gel X nails usually occur because the Gel X Glue also known as Extend Gel gets onto the skin.

This is because most Gels used for manicures, especially those used for Gel X Nails contain strong chemicals like Hema that are not meant to be on the skin and are safe only on the nail plate.

Also, even if you don’t initially have an allergic reaction to Gel X Nails you are still not safe. This is because if you allow the gel to constantly get on your skin you can slowly become sensitive and be prone to reactions.

Now the reasons why Gel X Nails tend to have more cases of allergic reactions are:

  • The way Gel X nails are applied increases the chances of some of the gel seeping out onto the skin. This happens a lot to beginners who don’t yet understand how much gel glue should be used.
  • Gel X Glues tend to contain a higher concentration of Hema chemicals. This is because Hema chemicals like 2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate are really good at making the gel adhere to surfaces. And most brands want to include Hema in their Gel X glue to make them work better.

Related Articles:

Pros, Cons & Side Effects of Gel X – Can it Damage Nails

9 Tips to Make Gel X Nails Last Longer & Prevent Lifting

Tips to Prevent an Allergic Reaction to Gel X Nails

1- Don’t let the Gel X Glue go on your Skin

The main thing you can do to prevent developing an allergy to Gel X Nails is to avoid the Gel X glue from touching your skin.

One of the mistakes I see a lot of beginners make is they use too much of the Gel X Glue and this can lead to some of it seeping out onto the skin. So ensure you don’t use too much. A thick coat of gel and then a small bead is just enough. You can check out the video below to see how to do it.

Now if any of the Gel does go on your skin, it needs to be promptly cleaned off with a cotton pad soaked with rubbing alcohol.

You can click here to learn about Allergic Reactions to Acrylic Nails- How to Spot & Treat

Video of How to Safely Apply Gel X Nails

2- Use a Hema Free Gel as a Gel X Glue

If you suspect you are sensitive to Gel or you just want to be on the safe side. Then one of the steps you can take is to use a Hema-free builder gel instead of a Gel X glue.

Hema is one of the main chemicals that causes your skin to react to the gel and by removing it you lower the risk of a reaction.

Now Hema Free Builder gels won’t completely eliminate the risk of a reaction there are other chemicals in the gel that can also cause sensitivities and allergies.

You can click here to see a Hema-Free Builder Gel that would work with your Gel X Nails, it works just like Gel X Glue.

Also, click here to read about other Alternatives to Gel X Glue.

3- Ensure the Gel X is Cured Completely

If your Gel X Glue is not cured fully some of it can seep out and go onto your skin which can lead to a reaction.

This is why after applying and flashing curing each gel X nails I always cure all of them together for 60 seconds. Flash curing is not enough.

You also need to ensure that you are using a powerful nail lamp, Remember the lamp has to penetrate the clear nails to reach the gel glue.

I recommend using a nail lamp that is 48 watts or higher, you can click here to see the one I use.

How to Spot an Allergic Reaction to Gel X Nails

The best way to correctly diagnose an allergy to Gel X nails is to have a dermatologist perform an allergen test.

But these are the most common symptoms you can expect after an allergic reaction to Gel X nails:

  • Nails, cuticles, and fingertips become red, inflamed, and swollen.
  • Burning sensation around the nail and cuticle area.
  • Fingers and nails can start to itch
  • Development of a rash around the fingers
  • The skin around the nails can start to become dry and peel.

It’s important to note that even if these symptoms are present, it doesn’t mean that you have an allergy. They can also be an indicator of a nail infection which from my experience has similar symptoms but takes a bit a longer time to develop.

Also, it’s very common for your nails to feel sore and hurt a bit after a manicure usually due to the filing and the cuticle being pushed back.

Related Articles:

Gel X vs Polygel- Which is Stronger & Easier to Apply

Gel X Nails vs Acrylic- Differences & Which One is Better

Hard Gel vs Gel X – Differences & Which is Better

How to Treat an Allergic Reaction to Gel X Nails

If the symptoms are extreme such as intense burning and pain then you need to go see a doctor promptly even before removing them.

But if the symptoms are relatively mild you can have the Gel X manicure removed and then get advice from a pharmacist or a dermatologist on what topical treatment can be used.

Common treatments that are usually prescribed are hydrocortisone creams and calamine lotions.

Related Articles:

How to Fill Gel X Nails at Home with Video Guide

3 Ways How to Safely Remove Gel X Nails at Home